If your skin is oily year-round, it may get that much worse in the hot summer months. Even if your skin is normally dry, it could get oily as you sweat through the weather changes. The rising of temperatures and humidity are generally to blame for the excess sebum which leads to oiliness on your face.
So, how do you reduce oily skin? Here’s how:
- Know the right cleansing routine. You might be tempted to wash your face much more than usual, but this can actually make the issue worse. When you wash your face too often, it strips your skin of moisture which can actually cause more oil to compensate. Wash your face twice a day as normal, but you may want to switch to an oil reducing cleanser.
- Be sure to continue moisturizing. Even if your skin seems too oily, you still need to use a moisturizer. Just make sure you are using a light, oil-free moisturizer.
- Use lighter serums and sunscreens and remember, less is more. You don’t need fancy products in the summer months or to overdo your skincare routine. This can actually make the issue worse if you are going overboard with products.
- Keep oil-blotting sheets in your purse or your car. They are great at absorbing excess oil and are generally pretty inexpensive. You can also use plain tissues to blot the oil off your face.
- Use waterproof makeup. In the summer, waterproof makeup is your best friend. It will stay put even if you decide to jump into a pool or get very sweaty and oily outdoors. You may also want to try using matte makeup, which can help reduce oil. Less is more with makeup as well! You will likely have a more natural glow and don’t need as much makeup anyway.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated. If your skin is hydrated, it can actually look less oily.
- If nothing is helping and your skin is breaking out and getting increasingly oilier, you may want to see a dermatologist to find out the true cause. Remember, everyone’s skin is different.
Do you have oily skin? Do you find it gets worse in the summer?
If you enjoyed this article and these tips, please SHARE with your friends and family who battle oily skin in the summer!