Do you ever stop to worry about the health of your eyelashes? They can be the difference in a look that is warm and inviting or dull and tired. If you don’t take good care of your eyelashes, they can become dry and brittle.1 You can also get eye infections from improper care of the area around your eyes.1 Here are some ways to take better care of your eyelashes:
- Never sleep with mascara on. You should always make sure to completely remove your makeup before you hit the hay and that includes all makeup around your eyes and eyelashes.1 Use a cotton ball and gentle makeup remover and lightly glide the cotton ball over your eyes to remove all of your mascara.
- Don’t rub or pull on your eyelashes. You could pull out eyelashes or rub makeup or dirt into your eyes and cause an eye infection. You could also simply cause irritation that leads to red and irritated eyes.1
- Brush your eyelashes daily. Even if you don’t use mascara, you can still make your eyelashes look fabulous by brushing them with a clean, soft mascara wand. Just be sure to only brush once a day or you could cause them to fall out easier.
- If you have very sensitive eyes, try to avoid using fake eyelashes or eyelash extensions. This could just lead to infection or irritation because of the chemicals used in the application of false lashes.1
- Condition your lashes to ensure they stay soft and healthy. You can apply castor oil, coconut oil or petroleum jelly to your eyelashes before bed to help keep your lashes conditioned and healthy.1
- Change your mascara every three months. Mascara can start to breed bacteria if it is not replaced often. This could increase your risks of getting an eye infection. Mascara also can become flaky and dry if you do not replace it and it will not give you the effect you desire.1
- Lastly, you can eat certain foods to help your lashes stay healthy and long. Try eating more foods or supplements full of Vitamin C, D and E. These foods could be kiwis, oranges, watermelons, fish, cheese, fortified cereals and dairy.1
What kind of eyelashes do you have? Do you desire long, curly eyelashes? Did you know all of these tips to take care of your eyelashes? Share with us!
1 – Information from Consumer Health Digest