If you exercise often, you may need to modify your skincare routine to avoid acne, irritated skin or dehydrated skin.
Here are some tips to help take care of your skin after working out, whether you go to the gym, work out outdoors or exercise from the comfort of your home.
- Keep your hands off! You may already know that one of the easiest ways to spread acne and germs is to touch your face with dirty hands. Especially if you work out in the gym, you might be touching a lot more germs. Try not to touch your face during your workout. If you find that sweat keeps dripping into your eyes, wear a cotton headband or have a towel nearby to wipe the sweat off with.
- Be gentle as you cleanse your face after your workout. The goal is to wash off any makeup, dirt, sweat, and oil without irritating your skin. Resist the urge to scrub your face too harshly after a workout. Use a gentle cleanser and if you use an exfoliator, scrub gently.
- Don’t forget to wash your entire body. Sweat can clog your pores anywhere on your body, not just on your face. Try to shower and wash your entire body and face immediately after you finish your workout.
- After your shower, don’t forget to moisturize well! Drench your whole body with lotion while your skin is still damp. Moisturize your face with a moisturizer as well. Look for an oil-free moisturizer that will give you back any hydration lost during your workout but won’t clog your pores. As you give your skin back hydration, don’t forget to give your body back some hydration as well. Make sure you drink plenty of water after your workout.
- Your lips may also be dry so finish up with a high-quality lip balm. If you are heading back outdoors, even if the weather is cloudy, you’ll want to apply an SPF.
Do you know how to care for your skin after you exercise? What are your favorite products to use at the gym? Let us know by commenting below!