As you age, your skin changes and in turn, you might have to change your skin care routine based on your skin’s new needs. When you reach middle age, you might be more concerned with decreasing wrinkles, fine lines, increasing your skin’s moisture and reversing the damage that has happened over the years.
Here are some changes to make to your skin care routine as you reach middle age to deal with these new skin concerns:
- Be gentle with your skin. As you age, your skin becomes more sensitive. Switch to a gentle, fragrance-free cleanser and a more heavy-duty moisturizer. Be gentle as you apply skin care products and avoid tugging at your skin or harshly scrubbing.1
- Boost your sun protection. If you have any sun damage, it is especially important to increase your protection from the sun so you don’t get any further damage. UVA UVB, and IR rays that come from the sun age your skin and make you lose collagen, which causes wrinkles and fine lines. Wear sunscreen with at least SPF 15 every day, even on cloudy days. Never visit a tanning salon or lay out in the sun without sun protection. Wear a hat and sunglasses in the sun. If you are worried about possible skin cancer or skin damage, see a dermatologist.1
- Add antioxidants. As you age, your skin’s oil production starts to weaken and that is why your skin gets drier. Try a moisturizer that contains antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin E, green tea, resveratrol, and polyphenols. Antioxidants can also help your skin keep collagen strong, which helps reduce wrinkles and sagging skin. Try to look for a moisturizer that also contains ingredients like hyaluronic acid, shea butter, and glycerin, which are all very moisturizing.1
- Start to soften your wrinkles and prevent new ones with retinol and other anti-aging products. Retinol will help smooth your skin’s texture and reduce wrinkles. If your skin starts to become red and sensitive, apply a retinol-based cream every other day instead of every day.1
- If you want a kit to start your anti-aging process, try our Bio-Clock Anti-Aging Activation System. It contains our Recapture 360 Day & Night Cream, Daily Facial Exfoliating Polish, and two free gifts with purchase!
- Don’t just worry about your face, worry about your entire body. Switch from a drying bar soap to a fragrance-free shower gel or cream. Look for ingredients like shea butter or jojoba oil that are very moisturizing. When your skin is still damp, apply a body cream to increase moisture as well.1
What are your worries when it comes to middle age skin care? What are your favorite products to use? Share with us below!
1 – Facts from Livestrong