Applying daily sun screen and using added protection when you know you are going out in the sun are important… but sometimes, accidents happen. Sunburn can occur any time of year, in any climate, and can be incredibly uncomfortable for some, while hardly noticed to others. Whether you feel it or not, it is important to take care of that skin once it has been damaged to avoid any long term effects.
Here are some tips on how to care for sunburn:
- Act as quickly as possible! If you are out, and start to notice that tingling or burning feeling, get out of the sun, and start to treat the skin immediately. Skin can continue to burn, even though it has been removed from direct sunlight; starting treatment can help stop the burning process, and start the healing process.
- Cool the skin off! Taking a cool shower or bath can help to stop the burning process, and ease any burning sensation you may be feeling. If you do not have a shower or bath available to you, try running cool water in the sink or place a cold compress on the affected area.
- Moisturize the skin! Keeping the skin moisturized will help calm the skin, and aid in healing and regeneration. Regular and heavily moisturized will also help reduce the appearance of flaking and peeling after a burn.
- Drink a lot of water! Any type of burn on the skin will draw fluid away from the body, and towards the skin’s surface, leading to dehydration. Drinking more water than you normally would can help stop the body from becoming dehydrated, and curb any further discomfort that may have been caused by dehydration.
- Ibuprofen! Taking ibuprofen the second you realize you have sunburn, and continuing for at least 48 hours after, can help reduce swelling and redness. The ibuprofen will also help relieve some of the pain, while helping protect against long-term damage.
- Seek medical attention if needed! If a sunburn causes blistering over more than 20% of the body, seek medical attention. You should also see a doctor if you experience any symptoms such as fever, chills, or vomiting, as these may be signs of sun poisoning, which can be very dangerous.
The best way to avoid the long term effects of sunburn is to avoid getting one. Using a daily moisturizer with an SPF in it. Christie Brinkley Skin Care RECAPTURE Day + IR Defense Anti-Aging Treatment will help protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays, and prevent any long term damage. Remember, healthy skin is beautiful skin!