If you live in a place where the seasons change and bring new weather, each new season is probably bringing you new skin concerns. Luckily, it can be very simple to care for your skin if you just make a few simple adjustments in your skincare routine.
Here are some ways to update your skincare routine for fall:
- Get rid of fragrant soaps. Summery fragrances are fine for warmer, humid weather, but they can dry out your skin.1 Switch to creamy body washes and hydrating cleansers. Look for fragrance-free, cream based and hydrating skin care products. If you can’t bear to give up your fragrances and your skin isn’t affected by them, look for a new fall scent!
- Up your exfoliating game. You might think of exfoliating more when you are rocking a bikini more often, but exfoliation is more important in the cooler months when your skin dries out. Exfoliation helps get rid of dead skin cells that can accumulate and dry out your skin.1
- Switch from lighter lotions to heavier creams for your moisturizing routine. Do this for your face as well as your entire body. Creams provide a better barrier so you don’t lose as much moisture and it helps to hydrate all of the layers of your skin. Make sure to get overlooked areas that tend to dry out like your elbows and feet.1
- Avoid dry, cracked lips. Your lips are one of the first areas that tend to dry out and crack in dry weather.. Get a high-quality lip balm and use often to keep your lips hydrated.
- Get a good hand cream. Just like lips, hands tend to dry out and become cracked and painful during the cooler months.1 Start moisturizing your hands often, especially if you have to wash your hands often for work. If your hands become very dry and cracked, slather on hand cream and sleep in gloves to let the moisture soak in overnight.
- Drink lots of water to keep your body and skin hydrated in cold weather. If the air is very dry, invest in a good quality humidifier for your home.
Does your skin get very dry in the fall and winter months? Do you change up the type of products you use? Share with us!
1 – From A Women’s Health