If you have oily skin, you are probably annoyed with constant breakouts, a shiny face and a greasy feeling. So, what do you do? What should you avoid doing? Here are some dos and don’ts to manage your oily skin and make it better:
- Do choose a cleanser with salicylic acid. Salicylic acid helps dig deep into pores and remove bacteria that clogs pores and can lead to acne.
- Do use a retinoid as part of your nighttime routine. If you need a stronger retinoid, see your dermatologist to get a prescription. Retinoid products can decrease oil production, so it is great to use before bed to let it work its magic overnight.
- Do use oil-free foundation and makeup to avoid creating a shine or clogging pores. Avoid cream blush as well because it can look shiny on your already shiny complexion.
- Do use blotting papers during the day. If you keep on top of oil production in your skin by using blotting papers during the day, it can help keep oil at bay if you can’t wash your face or are wearing makeup. You can use tissues or paper towel in a pinch but blotting papers are better because they contain a little bit of powder to help keep your makeup looking fresh.
- Don’t use cream or milk cleansers because they can make you look and feel even oilier.
- Don’t moisturize. Unless your skin is a combination of dry and oily, you don’t really need moisturizer. Try a gel or serum instead of a moisturizer to keep your skin healthy.
- Don’t use just SPF makeup. You need sunscreen as well and look for an oil-free version. If you think an SPF powder won’t make your skin break out and will keep you protected from the sun, think again. Generally, there isn’t enough sun protection in these products and you might burn.
- Don’t wash your face too much. Washing your face can help keep oil away, but washing too much it can strip your face of natural oils and give you irritated and red skin. Try to wash only twice day and use blotting papers during the day when you feel greasy.
Do you have oily skin? What are your favorite products to use? Do you agree or disagree with these dos and don’ts? Share with us!