Do you longingly admire naturally confident people? Do you ever wish you had more self-esteem? Well, you’re not alone because most of us do. Studies have shown that children who have strong self-confidence and high self-esteem feel that they are good problem solvers, value themselves, and feel self-worth. But this is not something that we are all born with – for some of us, it’s a skill that is slowly acquired over time.
Building our self-confidence and self-esteem are important in helping us achieve our goals. No matter what we are aiming for, big or small, believing in ourselves is half the battle. So let’s not get in our own way with negative thinking! We are powerful, and we can do so much when we allow ourselves the room to grow and expand. This can be you too, you just might need a little practice.
- Limit other people’s control – don’t give away your power by entrusting others to make your decisions. Consulting someone is fine, but don’t let them take over.
- Trust your instincts – often your first thought is the right
- No negative talk – it’s easy to be negative and start doubting yourself, but stay positive and keep your head held high.
- Research – part of having confidence is being knowledgeable, so do your homework, read, ask questions, and learn.
- Push yourself – we never know our limits until we explore them, so work harder than ever. You may very well impress yourself.
- Believe – you’ve been around and seen a few things, so trust that you have consumed enough knowledge that your opinion and thoughts on various matters are valuable. You may be surprised by how much you have to offer.
- Failure means trying – if you try something and it doesn’t go as planned, that’s okay. We often need to fail in order to fly. Besides, if you don’t even try, you fail by default.
- Leave the past in the past – if you ever experienced someone belittling, bullying, teasing, or putting you down in your youth, it likely contributed to your low self-esteem. But someone who does that to others is weak and they get power by putting others down. Take back your power by rejecting those insults! Stand strong and know that if someone is trying to insult or hurt you, they are very likely jealous of you. Well, pity them as you walk away with your head held high.