Gardening is good for the soul, and what’s good for your inner beauty is good for your outer beauty as well. But how do you enjoy gardening and the outdoors without suffering the damaging effects of the elements? Here are a few hints to help you enjoy working in the garden without paying the price:
- Timing is Everything! Whenever possible, avoid gardening mid-day when the sun’s rays are the strongest. Try not to garden between the hours of 10:00 am and 2:00 pm and leave this relaxing pursuit to the earlier morning or late afternoon hours.
- Wear a big hat! A lovely wide-brimmed straw or breathable hat can really add to your gardening enjoyment by offering protection from the sun and heat. It can keep the sun from beating down on your head, offer shade on your face to help reduce exposure to sun damage and help keep you from squinting – a cause of crow’s feet and frown lines!
- Wear gloves! The skin on your hands is delicate and shows age in wrinkles, crepiness, and dark spots from sun exposure. Invest in a good pair of breathable cotton gardening gloves and your hands will thank you!
- Sunglasses! A great pair of sunglasses will not only add to your gardening fashion statement, but it will also keep you from squinting and frowning… and once again creating those dreaded “expression lines”!
- .. ALWAYS! Light, loose clothing can create a physical barrier to the elements, but ALWAYS wear a high SPF sunscreen on exposed skin areas. Christie’s RECAPTURE 360 + IR Defense Anti-Aging Day Cream offers great protection for your face and includes protection against UVA/UVB and Infrared rays of the sun. Make it a habit to rub any excess cream from your daily routine into your hands as well and reapply day cream to face right before gardening (or any extended outdoor exposure!) for maximum protection.
Enjoy! Gardening can be a relaxing and rejuvenating experience. Joy and relaxation can bring a smile to your face (that instant facelift) and reduce the stresses of life, leaving you looking and feeling relaxed and beautiful!