If you look at the big picture, like how lucky we are to live on this speck called Eart, well we should just be happy go lucky! But some days, stress just piles up until we feel paralyzed – overwhelmed – our thoughts scattered. On those days we need to have a few reliable ways to just DEAL…so here goes
- Move It! Exercise is a key that helps us unlock our stress and keeps our bodies and minds in a healthy zone. Have you ever felt like one of those cartoon characters who’s got steam coming out of their ears? Life can be challenging, and there’s not always a way to resolve all the issues we are inundated with. So rather than lose your cool, take time to hit the gym, go for a walk or a run, or take a yoga class to help ease your stress. (Just don’t overdo it and get hurt, one issue at a time, thank you.)
- List it! Trying to balance everything can be overwhelming so take a moment to prioritize making a daily list of what you’d like to accomplish. Checking those tasks off will be a great relief!
- Own It! Things don’t always ‘go away’ on their own so if you are holding in or hiding something that you are not happy or proud of, take ownership and confront it head on. Sometimes, we have to step up to the plate and just deal with things head on. Once it’s resolved, you’ll see how much better you feel, and sometimes we make things out to be far worse in our heads than they are in real life.
- Snooze! Stress can also cause insomnia and you don’t want to add to your stress by feeling exhausted. If you are having trouble sleeping at night, it could be linked to your evening meal because food is fuel – well good food is – and eating too close to bedtime could affect your natural internal clock. And skip late night stimulants like sugary desserts and caffeinated drinks.
- Jam On It! The power of music is serious! Try blasting some tunes next time you’re feeling overwhelmed. Take a walk and listen to some of your favorite music or turn up the stereo and have a little dance party, but don’t forget your hairbrush microphone!
- Shut It Down! When you wake up in the morning, before you take one step, sit up, cross your legs, rest your hands on your knees, close your eyes and breathe. Try your best to turn off the internal noise, focus and relax. Welcome to meditation. This 10 minute exercise can recharge you, rest your weary mind, and start your day off right so you can rise and shine like a star!