We’ve all heard it before: you are what you eat! This means if you eat healthy, your body and skin will just glow with health.
If you eat too many unhealthy foods, your body will start to feel sluggish, you’ll feel ill and your skin will lose that healthy glow. If you want to age with amazing grace and have beautiful skin, there are some foods and drinks you’ll want to stock up on and ones you’ll want to avoid.
One of my top anti-aging secrets is to avoid:
- Sugar. If you eat a lot of the white stuff, something called “glycation” happens. This is a process that happens when sugar breaks down in your body and causes destruction on collagen and elastin, which leads to wrinkles and aging skin.
- Processed white flour. Foods that contain processed white flour often cause acne (not to mention it will pile on the pounds – which is not good for your skin or your heart!)
- Salt. Salt makes you puffy and bloated. This can cause your skin to become puffy and especially give you under eye bags.
- Alcohol. Alcohol in moderation is OK – but too much is very dehydrating. Your skin loves hydration to keep it looking moisturized, young and healthy. If you do drink alcohol, make sure to drink lots of water too.
While you always want to make sure you’re avoiding the bad, you don’t want to forget about those foods that have great benefits:
- Walnuts. These nuts contain a great amount of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids help strengthen skin and attract and hold moisture. You should be getting a good source of omega-3 fatty acids in your diet through food or supplements for great skin.
- Carrots. Carrots are not only great for your vision, but they are great for protecting your skin and fighting aging. They protect from UV damage, but this doesn’t mean you can skip your sunscreen!
- Fruits, especially papaya, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and kiwis. These fruits contain a great amount of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is amazing for your skin because it promotes collagen growth and prevents free radical damage.
- Radishes. Radishes also contain Vitamin C, along with sulfur and silicon, which supports collagen production which keeps your skin elastic and wrinkle free.
- Red bell peppers. Did you know that one medium pepper contains more than 200 percent of your daily Vitamin C requirements? Bring on the red peppers!
- Green tea. Sip this drink daily for a dose of antioxidants that fight cellular damage that leads to wrinkles and premature aging.
- Tomatoes. Tomatoes contain lycopene, which is an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory. Lycopene is especially present in cooked tomatoes. If you can’t tolerate tomatoes, pink grapefruits are another good source of lycopene.
- Soy, including tofu, soy milk or edamame, contains isoflavones which helps stop the breakdown of collagen.
- Spinach. Spinach is a powerhouse food that contains lutein and other carotenoids, which help protect from sun damage. Store your spinach in the sun to help it retain Vitamins C, K and E.
- Sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are a healthy source of Vitamin A, which helps promote collagen repair and growth.
- Brazil nuts. Brazil nuts are high in selenium, which is a mineral that helps repair skin cell damage and prevent premature aging.
- Wild salmon. Salmon contains those omega-3 fatty acids that keep your skin soft and moisturized. It also contains selenium to protect from sun damage.
- Oysters. Oysters are not only fun to eat, but contain zinc, which renews and repairs your skin!
There you have it, a list of the best foods and drinks to savor and a few to avoid if you want younger looking, acne-free and smooth skin! What are your favorites from the lists of foods to eat?